Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Happy Children

Unspeakable Joy!
“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.”
Pr. 22:6 NKJV

There are countless ways for us to bring up our children. Books and articles are written constantly. Telling us what we should and should not do. If you want happy and well rounded children who are emotionally, mentally and spiritually stable, let me suggest one more resource. The Bible. The one book that has stood the test of time over and over again. And with the wisdom shared in the above Scripture as an example, it's no wonder the Bible remains one of the favorite books of all time. 

Raising children can be a daunting task. But if we remember what we do and why we do it, it becomes a little less overwhelming. God’s Word gives us countless examples of how to teach (Deut.11:19), train (Is.38:19), provide (2 Cor. 12:14), nurture (Eph. 6:4 & Col. 3:21), control (1 Tim. 3:4 & 12) and love (Tit. 2:4) our children. Including the very important, but often overlooked, Deuteronomy 6:7 (“You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.) The Ten Commandments. If we remember to seek God first, and train our children in the way He guides us, we are promised that they will not depart from it. Now there's a recipe for a successful parenting! 

4 comments:

  1. Amen to that, Kara! I am praying for more and more grace to do this right. I know for sure I can't do it on my own. Blessings! Sade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How often we look for that perfect thing to use to train our children up in righteousness, when that perfect thing is right in front of us- the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sade - Grace for you and me both Sade. Though we are on opposite ends of the spectrum in children ages, I'm finding that parenting never stops. Next month my boys will be 24 and 18. They have lots of decisions about life to be made and I'm so glad they still come to me. I just have to remember to go my Father for wisdom to share with them.

    ReplyDelete